Skip to main content

The Lord's battle

My friend who is a true woman of God and mentor to me, keeps reminding me to look back on some of the traumatic things that happened to me with a new set of eyes.  Only God can give you a new set of eyes, we all know that.  Well it seems He is doing just that with the book of Samuel.  This woman of God, she will say things to you and and then you will find God doing in your life, exactly what she said to do.  Praise God!!!  Lets look to the Word of God

1 Sam 17
 
38 So Saul clothed David with his armor, and he put a bronze helmet on his head; he also clothed him with a coat of mail. 39 David fastened his sword to his armor and tried to walk, for he had not tested them. And David said to Saul, “I cannot walk with these, for I have not tested them.” So David took them off.

40 Then he took his staff in his hand; and he chose for himself five smooth stones from the brook, and put them in a shepherd’s bag, in a pouch which he had, and his sling was in his hand. And he drew near to the Philistine. 41 So the Philistine came, and began drawing near to David, and the man who bore the shield went before him. 42 And when the Philistine looked about and saw David, he disdained him; for he was only a youth, ruddy and good-looking. 43 So the Philistine said to David, “Am I a dog, that you come to me with sticks?” And the Philistine cursed David by his gods. 44 And the Philistine said to David, “Come to me, and I will give your flesh to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field!”

45 Then David said to the Philistine, “You come to me with a sword, with a spear, and with a javelin. But I come to you in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. 46 This day the Lord will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you. And this day I will give the carcasses of the camp of the Philistines to the birds of the air and the wild beasts of the earth, that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel. 47 Then all this assembly shall know that the Lord does not save with sword and spear; for the battle is the Lord’s, and He will give you into our hands.

The first thing that stands out to me in this text is what David says to Saul when Saul gives David his armor to wear.  David says "I cannot walk with these, for I have not tested them".  This really speaks to my spirit because we live in a world where we are inundated with so many different "Christian" messages.  We have many people, calling themselves "prophets".  The bible says to test the spirits to see whether they are from God.  I'm not just talking about other people, I'm talking about ourselves as well.  If we have a thought or something comes into our hearing.  See there are evil spirits out there who speak to us, they give us things to think about, they give us ideas, etc.  They pose questions in our minds.  We cannot entertain any old thought, any old idea, any old question.  We have to test these to see if they are from God.  With this same part of the text, David sees the importance of not trying to fight a battle with armor that he had not tested, he could not walk.  Praise God, he wasn't going to conform.  Praise God he didn't not feel obligated to fight the way the other soldiers were fighting.  Praise God, he didn't let Saul convince him that it had to be done a certain way; but David leaned on the tools that God had already given him.  He didn't feel like he needed something new, praise God.  He didn't feel like he needed something shiny, praise God.  He didn't feel like he needed something expensive.  Nope, he took his staff, 5 smooth stones, and a sling.  And you will see that the Philistine mocked David.  How did David respond?  He says to the Philistine “You come to me with a sword, with a spear, and with a javelin. But I come to you in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied.  This day the Lord will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you. And this day I will give the carcasses of the camp of the Philistines to the birds of the air and the wild beasts of the earth, that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel. Then all this assembly shall know that the Lord does not save with sword and spear; for the battle is the Lord’s, and He will give you into our hands."  I love that David says that the Lord does not save with sword and spear.  That's powerful!!!  David had a message, thank you Jesus!  What is the message for us today?  Rely on the Lord, and the Lord only to fight your battles.  Stand boldly in your own personal relationship with Jesus, and allow God to fight your battles.  You cannot rely on somebody else's relationship with God, you can't rely on someone else's weapons.  You have to rely on what the Lord has given to you personally, because your battles are personal.  The battles you fight are personal attacks from the enemy.  Somebody else's armor is not going to do the trick. This is personal.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Think before you defend yourself

I get on social media and I do my best not to be critical of anyone.  It's not my place.  I do find it kind of interested how personal relationships, insecurities, and hurts are expressed where the whole world can see.  Social media is like this enigma that continues to spark my interest.  I find myself asking "why would he/she share something so deep and personal with people who don't know them or even care?".  I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing.  I just find myself being very curious and intrigued about why? There is one trend I see, on social media, that sparks a bit of concern.  The amount of time we spend defending ourselves and our decisions on social media.  I get concerned because I realize that when we spend a "noticeable" amount of time defending ourselves publicly, it is a strong indication that their is a much bigger private battle going on within .  Social media speaks volumes to me about inner battles we go through. A thou

When we are troubled................

Have you have let the challenges you face, become a distraction for you?  I have! Matter-a-fact, I'm going through it now.  I hate it when I do that, because when you begin to let your heart become troubled about something, it's not long before fear begins to creeps in as well.    Then I feel like it gets hard to focus on the other things you need to focus on, and it's hard to enjoy the blessings that you have.  There is such a ripple effect when you let challenges trouble you.  It leads to distraction, then, fear, then it starts to rob you of your peace, your joy and if you let it, it can completely consume you.  God tells us to guard our hearts with all diligence.  There are 2 things in the bible that God tells us to guard:  Our hearts and our mouths.  We have to watch what we let come into our hearts and we have to watch what we allow to proceed from our mouths.  Even though we don't ignore challenges, it's important we don't let them take up residence in our

The best fight ever...............

Marriage.................................It's not easy.  It is a colorful creation full of ups and downs, highs and lows.  And some desperate times.  It cannot be done without God. It is His invention and only He can navigate you through it.  But marriage is worth fighting for.  You don't always have the energy to fight anymore and that's ok.  It's ok to not be ok.  It's ok to not be ok with your marriage.  It's ok to not be ok with your life.  Just know that not being ok, with your marriage, doesn't mean that it's over.  Not being ok, with your life, doesn't mean that its over.   In the last couple weeks I have struggled with temptations of epic magnitude.  God has seen me in my struggle.  Struggling with my emotions.  Struggling with my desires.  Struggling to stay faithful.  He saw me. He didn't look at me and say "I can't believe you are thinking this".  He didn't look at me ans say "I can't believe you are