Skip to main content

Destroy lack in your life

During biblical times, the people had a good idea of how kings reigned and what it meant for someone to have their own kingdom. But Jesus did not come as the Kings of this world.  His method of reigning is very different.

Matthew 20:20-28
Greatness Is Serving20 Then the mother of Zebedee’s sons came to Him with her sons, kneeling down and asking something from Him.
21 And He said to her, “What do you wish?”
She said to Him, “Grant that these two sons of mine may sit, one on Your right hand and the other on the left, in Your kingdom.”
22 But Jesus answered and said, “You do not know what you ask. Are you able to drink the cup that I am about to drink, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?”[a]
They said to Him, “We are able.”
23 So He said to them, “You will indeed drink My cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with;[b] but to sit on My right hand and on My left is not Mine to give, but it is for those for whom it is prepared by My Father.”
24 And when the ten heard it, they were greatly displeased with the two brothers. 25 But Jesus called them to Himself and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and those who are great exercise authority over them. 26 Yet it shall not be so among you; but whoever desires to become great among you, let him be your servant. 27 And whoever desires to be first among you, let him be your slave— 28 just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.”

As I think about these scriptures, I imagine the disciples were taken aback by what Jesus said.  What Jesus was describing was not the life they anticipated as a disciple of the "King of kings".  They were thinking about power and status, not serving.  I think this still happens to many of us today.  Things often times don't end up looking like the way we expect them to as a disciple of Christ.  I don't think the disciples jumped up for joy at what Jesus had just said to them.  I don't think they were able to experience that serving was better than being served until years later.  It is important to allow the Holy Spirit to penetrate our value system, so we can continue to grow and become spiritually mature.  It's very uncomfortable when Christ shows you that "success" in the kingdom of God is defined differently than "success" is defined in the world and even within the church at times.  We are all guilty, at times, of having this "all about me" mentality.  We even pass that on to our kids by catering to them too much.  That makes child rearing difficult; and many couples decide to not have children because of it.   But I am just starting to realize that my getting over this "all about me mentality" will also help my kids.  Reading these scriptures today, has shown me also how important it is for me to stop revolving so much around them.  They will have way more joy in their lives, if life doesn't revolve around them.  But it starts with me and allowing the Holy Spirit to turn my "all about me" mentality on it's back.  Then I won't pass it on to my kids.  2 major things come to mind that are necessary for our success as believers in Christ:
1.  Patience - If you don't want any lack in your life (James 1:4)
         -But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.
     The question is "How do you get this patience, so you can get rid of the lack in your life?"   I'm going to tell you how...................be joyful when trouble comes.  It is the way you respond to trouble in your life, that decides what you will "produce" as a result.  If you want to produce "supply" in your life instead of "lack"  be joyful when trouble comes.

2.  Hope - If you don't want your faith to be shattered by disappointments in your life (Romans 5:5)
          -Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.
       The question is "How do we get this hope?" The same way we get patience, respond to trouble with joy.  How do we respond to trouble with joy?.........................Don't focus on the trouble, put your focus on the fact that you have peace with God and that you have been declared righteous because of His grace.

Now you have very clear specific instructions from the word of God on how you can destroy "lack" in your life and how to respond to your trouble in a joyful way.  Embrace these instructions and don't be offended by them.  Understand that what Christ wants to give you is eternal.  What the world gives you is fleeting and temporary.  Choose the eternal over the temporal.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Think before you defend yourself

I get on social media and I do my best not to be critical of anyone.  It's not my place.  I do find it kind of interested how personal relationships, insecurities, and hurts are expressed where the whole world can see.  Social media is like this enigma that continues to spark my interest.  I find myself asking "why would he/she share something so deep and personal with people who don't know them or even care?".  I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing.  I just find myself being very curious and intrigued about why? There is one trend I see, on social media, that sparks a bit of concern.  The amount of time we spend defending ourselves and our decisions on social media.  I get concerned because I realize that when we spend a "noticeable" amount of time defending ourselves publicly, it is a strong indication that their is a much bigger private battle going on within .  Social media speaks volumes to me about inner battles we go through. A thou

When we are troubled................

Have you have let the challenges you face, become a distraction for you?  I have! Matter-a-fact, I'm going through it now.  I hate it when I do that, because when you begin to let your heart become troubled about something, it's not long before fear begins to creeps in as well.    Then I feel like it gets hard to focus on the other things you need to focus on, and it's hard to enjoy the blessings that you have.  There is such a ripple effect when you let challenges trouble you.  It leads to distraction, then, fear, then it starts to rob you of your peace, your joy and if you let it, it can completely consume you.  God tells us to guard our hearts with all diligence.  There are 2 things in the bible that God tells us to guard:  Our hearts and our mouths.  We have to watch what we let come into our hearts and we have to watch what we allow to proceed from our mouths.  Even though we don't ignore challenges, it's important we don't let them take up residence in our

The best fight ever...............

Marriage.................................It's not easy.  It is a colorful creation full of ups and downs, highs and lows.  And some desperate times.  It cannot be done without God. It is His invention and only He can navigate you through it.  But marriage is worth fighting for.  You don't always have the energy to fight anymore and that's ok.  It's ok to not be ok.  It's ok to not be ok with your marriage.  It's ok to not be ok with your life.  Just know that not being ok, with your marriage, doesn't mean that it's over.  Not being ok, with your life, doesn't mean that its over.   In the last couple weeks I have struggled with temptations of epic magnitude.  God has seen me in my struggle.  Struggling with my emotions.  Struggling with my desires.  Struggling to stay faithful.  He saw me. He didn't look at me and say "I can't believe you are thinking this".  He didn't look at me ans say "I can't believe you are