Skip to main content

Book Study - Switch on Your Brain Ch3 Part 1

Excerpt from "Switch on your brain"

"Main Scripture: Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good,…pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2 NIV
 

Linked Science Concept: Through our thoughts we can be our own micro surgeons as we make choices that will change the circuits in our brains. We are designed to do our own brain surgery and rewire our brains by thinking and by choosing to renew our minds." 

I have meditated on the scripture above over the years but I always wondered what it really meant.  I think I have understood bits and pieces but when I read this book, it showed me that we are actually hardwired to fullfill this scripture in our lives.  God has given us the equipment to carry out His will. He has!!!!  This book shows you how to begin to use that equipment. 

Dr. Leaf states that "This scientific power of our mind to change the brain is called epigenetics and spiritually is is as a man thinks, so is he (Proverbs 23:7) The way the brain changes as a result of mental activity is scientifically called neuroplasticity. And spiritually, it is the renewing of the mind (Romans 12:2)"

The scientific evidence for scripture is simply profound.  God's word is true and His intention has always been to carry it out through us.  If you are anything like me, you have wondered why it's so hard to change and break old habits.  Maybe you have wondered why you haven't seen any growth spiritually, even though you are trying to do all the right things to learn more about God.  This book is not the entire answer but it does shed some light on how we can begin to play a very active part, with God, in being transformed by the renewing of our minds so we can begin to carryout God's will in our lives.  Within scripture you hear constant references to the "heart" "mind" "spirit" "soul", none of which you can see.  The scripture below talks about the power of the things that you cannot see:

Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible

When you consider the scriptural truth above; it is no different then how we produce output in our everyday lives?  For example, when it comes to the spirit, we cannot necessarily see the "spirit" but the spirit can be measured by it's fruit.  


Below is more excerpts from the book:
"The decisions you make today become part of the thought networks in your brain. The two copies of the chromosome that you carry in each of your cells contain the entire set of genetic material necessary to make you. An interesting point: A cell in your brain and a cell in your kidney contain the exact same DNA. And while in utero (in the womb), the nascent (emerging, developing) cells differentiate into either a brain cell or a kidney cell only when crucial epigenetic processes turn the right genes on or off. So God has designed perfectly timed epigenetic signals to switch on in the womb as the baby is developing. “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you” (Jer. 1:5). 

The epigenetic marks in our genes that may predispose us to smoke, eat too much of the wrong foods, be negative, or worry can change.  The way we react—our thinking and choosing—becomes the signal that activates or deactivates the generational issues in our lives. "

What Dr. Leaf says above further confirms Hebrew 11:3 when it says that the things which are seen were not made by things which are visible.  

Take away thought - In our culture today we give much time and fuss over the things which are visible, but the things which are not visible tend to suffer.  I think realizing that the way in which we think is the creative process that God has blessed us with, to be co-creators with Him, in the lives that we are called to live out on this earth.  You no longer have to passively, will yourself, to do something unsuccessfully; because you now know that you have the equipment to carry out your very thoughts.  Your brain carries out the intentions of your mind.  It is your brain that is central in producing the output for the rest of your body, but it is a passive instrument merely responding to our mind.  It is in our minds in which we think,  it is our brain that carries it out.    


 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Think before you defend yourself

I get on social media and I do my best not to be critical of anyone.  It's not my place.  I do find it kind of interested how personal relationships, insecurities, and hurts are expressed where the whole world can see.  Social media is like this enigma that continues to spark my interest.  I find myself asking "why would he/she share something so deep and personal with people who don't know them or even care?".  I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing.  I just find myself being very curious and intrigued about why? There is one trend I see, on social media, that sparks a bit of concern.  The amount of time we spend defending ourselves and our decisions on social media.  I get concerned because I realize that when we spend a "noticeable" amount of time defending ourselves publicly, it is a strong indication that their is a much bigger private battle going on within .  Social media speaks volumes to me about inner battles we go through. A thou

When we are troubled................

Have you have let the challenges you face, become a distraction for you?  I have! Matter-a-fact, I'm going through it now.  I hate it when I do that, because when you begin to let your heart become troubled about something, it's not long before fear begins to creeps in as well.    Then I feel like it gets hard to focus on the other things you need to focus on, and it's hard to enjoy the blessings that you have.  There is such a ripple effect when you let challenges trouble you.  It leads to distraction, then, fear, then it starts to rob you of your peace, your joy and if you let it, it can completely consume you.  God tells us to guard our hearts with all diligence.  There are 2 things in the bible that God tells us to guard:  Our hearts and our mouths.  We have to watch what we let come into our hearts and we have to watch what we allow to proceed from our mouths.  Even though we don't ignore challenges, it's important we don't let them take up residence in our

Love & Crisis

I am bursting with stuff to share, but really haven't known if it's the time to share it.  Or even if this is the platform.  There have been some foundational lessons that God has been teaching me.  Gosh, I haven't blogged so long.  I don't know where to start.  I long to connect with my readers on  a more personal level.  I don't know how many of you are married.  But statistically marriages will go through a crisis about every 10 years.  It could be health, financial, loss of a loved one, parenting issues, etc.  My husband and I went through our first crisis last year, and guess what?  Last year was our 10th year of marriage.  Ours was financial.  Honestly, it went on for about 2 years but reached the worst of it last year.  We were in danger of losing our home.  The only reason we are in our home today is because God used our family and our church to help us.  But it was rough for awhile and it truly tested our marriage.  We had the worst arguments of our mar